Zesty Orange, Seed and Milk Chocolate Biscuits
by Northern Life
These tasty biscuits are easy to make and perfect for when your little ones want to get into the kitchen and bake their own sweet treat.
The biscuit mix can be cut into any shape you fancy for a rainy day bake or special occasion. Plus the little hands will enjoy decorating the biscuits with milk chocolate, which perfectly complements the zesty combination of orange and seeds, introducing them to new textures and flavours.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Baking time: 10-12 minutes
Makes: 20 approx.
Asimetria baking tray
1 litre glass mixing bowl
6cm fluted biscuit cutter
Non-stick baking parchment
Half litre glass mixing bowl, which will sit on the top of the pan
175g unsalted butter, soft
75g golden icing sugar
The freshly grated zest of 1 orange
A drop or two of orange extract
15g poppy seeds
15g sesame seeds
225g self-raising flour
75g milk chocolate
Method –Zesty Orange, Seed and Milk Chocolate Biscuits:
- In a bowl beat together the butter and icing sugar.
- Add the lemon zest and extract and poppy seeds and mix these in
- Gradually add the flour and stir together until you have added it all and you have a well-combined, smooth biscuit dough.
- Shape the dough into a disc, wrap in cling film and chill in the fridge for around 20 minutes.
- Now preheat your oven to 160°C.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly dusted worktop to around 5mm thick.
- Dip your cutter in flour and cut out the biscuits, carefully transfer onto your lined Pyrex baking tray.
- Bake the biscuits for 10-12 minutes, until pale gold (you can roll and bake in batches).
- Leave the biscuits on the tray for 5 minutes to let them firm up a little, then carefully transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Break your chocolate into pieces and place in your small Pyrex bowl which is sitting over a pan of gently simmering water- don’t let the water touch the bottom of the bowl, or boil (you could melt the chocolate in the microwave on a very low setting).
- When the biscuits have cooled, put some extra baking paper under the cooling rack and use a spoon to splatter and drizzle over the melted chocolate then let this set and enjoy your bickies with a nice cuppa.