Rhubarb Compote with Vanilla Crème Fraîche & Pancakes
by Northern Life
For the pancake batter
- 125 g (4 oz) plain flour
- a pinch of salt
- 1 medium egg
- 300 ml (1/2 pint) milk
- a knob of butter or oil, for frying
For the rhubarb compote
- 450g rhubarb, cut into 4cm pieces
- 85g caster sugar
- 3 tbsp honey
- finely grated zest and juice 1 lemon
- 2 vanilla pods
- pieces stem ginger, cut into thin shards
For the vanilla creme fraiche
- 1 tsp icing sugar
- 200ml crème fraîche
1. Preheat the oven to 140°C gas mark 1.
Make the rhubarb compote
2. Put the rhubarb pieces into a bowl and add the sugar, honey, a squeeze of lemon juice and 3 tbsp water.
3. Mix well, then lay the pieces flat in a roasting tray.
4. Split the vanilla pods in half, then scrape out the seeds and reserve for the vanilla crème fraîche. Add the vanilla pods to the rhubarb.
5. Bake in the oven for 30 mins.
Make the vanilla crème fraiche
6. Meanwhile, stir the vanilla seeds and icing sugar into the crème fraiche and refrigerate for use later.
7. When the rhubarb is cooked, drain the juices into a pan, then boil to thicken slightly.
Make the pancakes
8. Tip the flour into a bowl and stir in the salt. Lightly beat together the egg and milk. Pour over the flour mixture, a little at a time, whisking it well, to give a smooth pancake batter.
9. Heat a frying pan and very lightly grease the base of it with butter or oil.
10. Pour a thin layer of batter over the base of the pan. Cook it until the edges start to curl back. Either toss the pancake, or use a palette knife to loosen it around the edges and then use the palette knife to help flip it over.
11. Cook the pancake briefly on this side, then slide it out on to a plate. Place a sheet of kitchen paper on top. Cook the rest of the mixture in the same way.
12. Mix the rhubarb with the stem ginger and juices, then spoon over pancakes. Top with a spoonful of vanilla crème fraîche and a sprinkling of lemon zest.