Caramelised Pear, Blue Cheese & Pickled Walnut Salad
by Northern Life
A sweet and nutty salad, perfect for warm days.
Serves: 2 Prep: 15 mins
For the dressing:
- 50ml Buttermilk
- 50g Soured Cream
- 50g Mayonnaise
- 1 tsp White Wine Vinegar
- 75g Blue Cheese, crumbled
- Couple dashes of Worcestershire sauce
For the salad:
- 2 small Pears
- 15g Muscovado Sugar
- Knob of Butter
- 4 Opies Pickled Walnuts, sliced into rounds
- 1 tbsp Sunflower Seeds
- 2 large handfuls of Mixed Leaf
- In a small bowl mix together all the dressing ingredients until smooth and season with black pepper.
- Slice the pear into thin slices. Add the butter to a frying pan on a medium heat, wait until foaming and add the slices of pear, ensuring they aren’t overlapping (you may have to do this in two batches). Sprinkle over the sugar and allow to fry for three minutes until golden and the sugar is caramelized. Flip the slices and cook for another 3 minutes. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and allow to cool.
- Toss together the salad leaves with the Pickled Walnuts and sunflower seeds with two tablespoons of dressing until the leaves are well coated.
- Divide onto two plates, top with the pear slices and an extra drizzle of dressing.
Recipe from Opies Foods
NorthernLife July/Aug 23