Bacon-Wrapped Oreos with Vanilla Ice Cream
by Laura Storey
FOR A BANGING COOKOUT WITH FRIENDS AND FAMILY CHECK OUT PIT-MASTER DJ BBQ’S FIRE FEASTS. HERE’S ONE OF OUR FAVOURITES
Set-up: Half and half technique. You’ll need a medium fireproof saucepan, an ice-cream maker, or a plastic tub and a freezer. You must use pure lumpwood charcoal for this recipe (we use Whittle and Flame) – as it goes in the ice cream!
- 12 smoked streaky bacon rashers (slices)
- 12 Oreos
- Strawberries, to serve
For the ice cream
- 225ml (8fl oz/scant 1 cup) double cream
- 225ml (8fl oz/scant 1 cup) full-fat (whole) milk
- 1 vanilla pod (or 1 tsp vanilla paste)
- 4 chunks of flamin’ pure lumpwood charcoal
- 6 egg yolks
- 75g (2¾oz) brown sugar
- Fire up that cooker so you can get your ice cream going a good few hours before you want to eat. When your grill is hot, pour the cream and milk into a fireproof saucepan.
- Scrape the seeds from the vanilla pod and add these, plus the empty pod, to the pan too (or add the vanilla paste if using). Place the pan on the grill and heat until bubbling, being careful that it doesn’t spill over.
- Now comes the smokin’ element. Using a pair of steel tongs, pick up four lumps of lit coal, blow off any ash, then carefully drop them into the hot cream mix. Watch the liquid bubble and smoke as you impart the flavour of the wood. Take off the heat and set aside to infuse for a few minutes. In a large bowl, whisk the egg yolks and sugar until light and fluffy. Strain the hot cream into a jug, to remove the coals and vanilla pod.
- Then pour it into the sugary egg mixture, whisking constantly.
- Pour the mixture back into the pan, then put it on the heat again. Stir constantly and gently until the mixture thickens slightly and coats the back of a spoon, but make sure you don’t let it bubble this time (or it will turn into scrambled eggs). As soon as it has thickened a little, pour the mixture into an icecream maker and churn until thick and frozen. Alternatively, if you don’t have an ice-cream maker, pour into a tub, place it in the freezer and stir every 30 minutes for a couple of hours until you have ice cream.
- Lay out your 12 strips of bacon and place an Oreo at the tip of each strip. Make the Oreo do somersaults all the way down the bacon, wrapping as you go. With the grill at a medium heat, place the bacon-wrapped Oreos seam-side down on the grill.
- Get ’em crispy, then carefully flip ’em and let the other side get crispy too.
- Transfer to a plate lined with kitchen (paper) towel to soak up
any excess oil.
- Time to bring these two marvels together. FIRE & ICE… and bacon. Scoop loads of smoky vanilla ice cream into bowls, then top each one with 2–3 bacon-wrapped Oreos and some fresh strawberries. Sweet and savoury GOODNESS.
Fire Feasts: The Awesome BBQ Book for Feasting with Friends and Family by Christian Stevenson (DJ BBQ). Available from Amazon £11.69
NorthernLife July/August 2022