Watercress is a highly nutrient dense natural food as well as being quick to prepare. In this quick rainbow salad its health benefits are amplified by a colourful array of vegetables full of antioxidants. Lentils add protein and fibre, avocado and extra virgin olive oil offer healthy monounsaturated fats. Feta, made from sheep’s milk is more digestible than cows’ milk cheeses. Parsley is another antioxidant rich ingredient with added anti-inflammatory and detoxifying properties along with apple cider vinegar. The salad is topped off with jewel bright pomegranate seeds, filled with antioxidants.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- 2 vacuum packed cooked beetroot
- 1 yellow pepper
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 tin of green lentils (400g)
- 85g (1 bag) watercress
- 50g feta cheese
- 1 pomegranate
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley
- 1 avocado
For the dressing
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Pinch of salt
- Slice the beetroot and yellow pepper into fine matchsticks and grate the carrot. Drain the tin of lentils and combine with the vegetables in a large salad bowl
- Prepare the dressing by whisking together the apple cider vinegar, olive oil, honey and salt together in a bowl.
- Pour the dressing into the bowl of sliced vegetables and lentils and toss so all ingredients are coated in the dressing.
- Gently toss the watercress through the salad.
- Crumble over the feta cheese followed by the parsley.
- Cut the avocado in half, twist and remove the stone. Cut into slices and arrange on top of the salad.
- Cut the pomegranate in half and tap the back with a wooden spoon while holding it over the bowl to release the seeds, sprinkle on top to finish the salad.
Courtesy of www.watercress.co.uk