Vegan BBQ Platter
by Northern Life
Garnished with micro mint leaves, and sliced sweet pickled red onion for some acidity to cut through the smokiness.
BBQ Platter (serves 4)
- Mix 2 tablespoon of black miso and 1.5 tablespoon of agave.
- Slice the aubergine into slices (roughly 6 slices from 1 aubergine).
- Score the slices of aubergine on both and rub in the in the miso.
- On a hot griddle char the aubergine for 90 seconds a side.
Asparagus (1 large bunch)
- Click the woody ends from the asparagus and cook in boiling salted water for no longer than 45 seconds.
- Drain and put immediately into a bowl of cold water (a few ice cubes would help).
- Dry the asparagus off and place onto the hot griddle for 20 seconds a side or until you get some nice dark charing.
- Cut 1 hispi cabbage into 4.
- Cover each piece with butter, fresh garlic and salt and pepper.
- Place in a roasting tin and cover half way with apple juice then cover with tin foil.
- Cook for 25 minutes on 200 degrees celsius.
- Then remove the tin foil and baste with the apple juice
- Return to the oven for a further 15 minutes so the apple juice starts to reduce and turn into a syrupy glaze.
- Remove from the oven and give the quarters 1 final baste with the syrup.
- Place the quarters onto the hot griddle to achieve nice char marks all over.
- In a mixing bowl, grate 1 large carrot, finely slice 1 white onion and half a white cabbage.
- Add 1 tablespoon of jerk seasoning and 1.5 tablespoons of mayo.
- Mix all together thoroughly.
- Using cooked vacuum packed char it on all sides on the griddle and then brush with melted garlic butter.
Smoky Tempeh Ribs
- In a bowl combine 4 tablespoons lemon juice, 2 tablespoons oil, 3 tablespoons tamari (gf soy sauce) 1 tablespoon smoked paprika, 2 cloves of minced garlic, 1 tablespoon BBQ sauce, 1 tablespoon mixed herbs, 1 tablespoon liquid smoke, 1 tablespoon Agave.
- Slice 250 grams of tempeh in to strips and coat with the marinade.
- Leave to marinate in the fridge for a minimum of an hour-cook in the oven on 180 degrees celsius for 15-20 minutes.
- To serve finish on the griddle.
*Garnished with micro mint leaves, and sliced sweet pickled red onion for some acidity to cut through the smokiness.