Sausage Plait with Strong English Mustard
by Northern Life
A delightful combination of sausage, onion and fresh parsley wrapped in puff pastry with a hidden blast of heat from the mustard
- Vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 400g good quality pork sausage meat flat-leaf parsley a handful, finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- ready-made puff pastry 1 x 320g sheet
- 1tsp Tracklements Strong English Mustard
- 1 egg, beaten
- sesame seeds to finish
- Heat the oven to 200°C /fan 180°C /gas mark 6
- Heat a little oil and gently cook the onions until translucent
- Mix the sausage meat with the onion and parsley and season
- Unroll the pastry and lay it on a baking sheet. Brush the middle, lengthways, with the Strong English Mustard.
- Form the sausage mix into a big sausage and lay on top
- Make diagonal cuts, 1-2cm apart, in the pasty either side of the sausage and then bring the strips up and over alternately to form a plait
- Brush with the egg and scatter the sesame seeds on top.
- Bake for 25-30 mins until puffed and golden
Thanks to Tracklements for the recipe.
NorthernLife July/Aug 23