by Northern Life
A serious upgrade to your average sandwich. Packed to the brim with flavour, texture and colour
- 100g black olives, pitted and drained
- 100g green olives, pitted and drained
- 140g roasted red peppers, drained (approximately half a jar)
- 1 tbsp capers, drained
- Half a 227g jar of Opies Cocktail Gherkins
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 loaf of focaccia or large round bread loaf roughly the size of a dinner plate
- 100g mortadella ham
- 6 slices of Emmental cheese
- 12 slices of salami
- 2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- Small bunch fresh basil, stalks removed and leaves torn
- Roughly chop the first 5 ingredients then add to a bowl with the olive oil. Season to taste, mix well and set aside.
- Slice the loaf in half horizontally, then spread the olive/tapenade mixture over the bottom half so it completely entirely covers the layer.
- Layer the meats and cheese onto the bottom half one by one, then finally add the tomatoes and basil and season one final time.
- Place the loaf top back on, wrap in cling film and press down firmly then add a plate and weight it down with a block of butter or similar. Leave to chill in the fridge for 2-3 hours (or preferably overnight) so the flavours combine and the ingredients compress.
- When you’re ready to eat, unwrap the cling film then cut the loaf into thick wedges and serve.
Thanks to Opies Foods for the recipe
NorthernLife July/Aug 23