The last time I made a cake was for my friend Louise’s birthday. It was a pretty delicious cake and there were no complaints but all that greasing and lining and watching and praying. Good God what a faff!
So yesterday I saw a recipe for a microwave mug cake that promised to take only 5 minutes to prepare and cook with no mess and no mixing bowl. It was on the Love Food website and was supposed to be easy peasy.
It wasn’t. Not for me anyway. And yes, I did follow the instructions very carefully.
I’ve been tweaking it today and the recipe is now foolproof. Even I can make it without disaster striking.
Here it is:
- In a large mug or bowl put 2 heaped tablespoons of self raising flour.
- Add 2 heaped tablespoons of sugar.
- Mix in 1 heaped tablespoon of cocoa powder.
- Add 2 heaped tablespoons of full fat mayonnaise.
- Add 1 egg and mix with a fork.
- Whack it in the microwave for 2 mins 30. Watch it rise. Leave for a minute after it’s cooked.
And there you have it, a bloody gorgeous chocolatey heaven made with no mess, no fuel costs and about 20p worth of ingredients.
I am a domestic goddess. Honest.