Try your hand at serious floristry and create a stunning wreath for advent
- 8-10 red poinsettias (13 cm diameter pot)
- 1 basket of moss
- 1 ring of florist foam with base (40 cm diameter)
- 1 pack of florist pins
- 4 large, red self-extinguishing candles
- 10 golden stars for pinning
- 60 degrees Celsius hot water
- Carefully cut the bracts from the plant using the pliers. To prevent the milky sap from leaking from the cut surface, dip the stems into 60 degrees hot water for a about 5 seconds and then immediately in cold water. Now, the stems are sealed.
- For an impressive Star Wreath, it’s recommended to use a ring of florist foam with a diameter of 40 cm. The foam needs to be well watered to ensure the best vase life for your poinsettia bracts. Because of this, ensure you have a plastic tray beneath your foam. Next, cover the ring of foam with a thin layer of moss, and fix with pins.
- Insert the poinsettia stems into the foam one after the other. To protect the stems from breaking, it’s recommended to prick the holes first by using a knitting needle. For an opulent wreath, have three rows of cut poinsettias.
- Fill the centre of the wreath with dry florist foam to create a space for the candle. Fill free space around the candle with moss.
- Finally, decorate your wreath with golden stars by inserting them into the foam as well.
We have loads more poinsettia crafting inspiration.