Giant Scotch Eggs
by Northern Life
Luxury Scotch eggs are such a treat and the pickled walnut adds flavour and colour to the sausage meat.
- 5 free range eggs
- 400g sausage meat
- 4 Opies Pickled Walnuts, chopped finely
- 1 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- salt and pepper
- 50g plain flour
- 80g panko breadcrumbs
- Hard-boil 4 of the eggs for approximately 8 minutes, leaving the yolks a little soft, cool immediately in cold running water.
- In a large bowl combine the sausage meat, Opies Pickled Walnuts and parsley, season with salt and pepper.
- Peel the hard-boiled eggs, then divide the sausage meat mixture in 4 and wrap around the eggs creating a tight seal.
- Season the flour and place on a shallow plate. Beat the remaining egg in a separate shallow dish. Place the panko breadcrumbs in another shallow bowl.
- Roll each egg first in flour, then egg and finally roll in breadcrumbs, place on a plate in the fridge to chill for about half an hour.
- Heat oil to 170°C and deep fry for 10 – 12 minutes until golden brown.
Hints and Tips: When the eggs are cooked they should float to the top of the oil. Add to a sharing platter to enjoy with friends, also perfect for a picnic treat.
Thanks to Opies Foods for the recipe.
NorthernLife July/Aug 23