Eat-the-Rainbow Pancake Stack
by Northern Life
GOOD FOR YOU AND YOUR TASTEBUDS
These rainbow pancakes have just four simple base ingredients and not a food dye in sight
Makes 8 small pancakes Prep 5 mins Cook 15 mins
- 2 large eggs
- 2 ripe bananas (approx. 200g)
- 50g porridge oats
- Extra virgin olive oil, for frying
Colourings (choose 1 per base):
- Pretty Pink (betalain) 25g raw beetroot
- Mellow Yellow (curcumin) 1 tsp turmeric
- Proud Purple (anthocyanin) 40g red cabbage
- Go Green (chlorophyll) 30g baby spinach leaves
- Live yoghurt, sweetened with honey
- Fresh figs
- Grilled banana
- Berries, blitzed
- Toasted mixed seeds
- Put the eggs, bananas and porridge oats, along with one of your plant colourings, into a high-powered blender. Blitz for 1–2 minutes until smooth and a little foamy on top.
- If you are making a second batch using a different colouring, pour the first batch into a jug and set aside. Rinse the blender and repeat the step above.
- Heat a large frying pan (or two) containing olive oil over a low heat, and when hot pour in approx. 45ml (or 3 tbsp) of the batter per pancake.
- Cook over a low heat for 2–3 minutes, until you see the top of the pancake start to bubble and dry over round the edges. This is the sign to flip it and cook the other side for another couple of minutes. Don’t be tempted to increase the heat level, otherwise you’ll lose the vibrant colours.
- Repeat until you have used up all the batter. Eat immediately with your toppings of choice.
Eat More, Live Well by Dr Megan Rossi
Northern Life Mar/Apr 2022