by Northern Life
MAYBE NOT THE MOST IMPORTANT MEAL OF THE DAY BUT THESE RECIPES CERTAINLY MAKE IT THE BEST
Prep time: 5 mins. Cook time: 10 mins. Serves 2
- Mornay sauce (Bechamel with gruyere added)
- 4 slices thick brioche or crusty white bread
- 2 eggs
- Dijon mustard
- 2 slices thick cut ham
- 100g Gruyere, grated
- 50g watercress, removing any thick stalks
- Preheat the oven to 180˚.
- Butter all sides of the brioche/bread.
- In a pan over a medium heat, fry the bread on all sides, flipping once.
- To make your sandwich, spread a thin layer of mustard on 2 slices of the bread. On the other 2 slices, spread some mornay sauce. On top of the Mornay, layer the ham, watercress and gruyere before sandwiching with a slice of the mustard bread.
- Warm the sandwiches in the oven so that the cheese melts. Meanwhile, fry the eggs. To serve, lay a fried egg on the top of each sandwich, adding more Mornay sauce if desired.
For more recipes and inspiration, visit thewatercresscompany.com
NorthernLife May/June 2022