Bruschetta with lemon & thyme roast shallots with brie
by Northern Life
Bruschetta with Lemon & thyme roast shallots with brie – Deliciously sweet shallots and oozy melted brie. Celebrate sandwich week in style with this speedy brunch idea.
Serves 4 | Preparation time: 15 minutes | Cooking time: 25-30 minutes, including roasting
- 12 shallots, peeled & cut in half
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 1 small bunch fresh thyme
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 200g brie, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, cut in half and lightly bruised with the back of a knife
- 4 slices thick-cut bread (ciabatta or sourdough are perfect, but chunky granary would be great too)
- Place the shallots in a roasting tin with the thyme scattered over. Squeeze the juice from the lemon quarters into the tin and add the skins to the tin for an extra lemony zing. Add the extra virgin olive oil and toss to mix. Roast in the oven at 180°C for about 15-20 minutes until the shallots are soft and just beginning to caramelize.
- About 5 minutes before the shallots are due to come out of the oven, toast the bread on both sides under the grill and rub one side of each slice with the cut side of the bruised garlic clove – this will give a subtle garlic aroma without being too ‘garlicky’.
- When the shallots are done give them a stir to coat in the pan juices, discard the lemon skins and pick out any large woody stalks of thyme (the leaves will have fallen off and be sticking to the shallots).
- Top each slice of bread with the lemony shallots, arrange the brie on top and return to the grill for a couple of minutes until the cheese just starts to ooze deliciously. Add a little salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste and serve immediately with a fresh green salad.
Courtesy of www.UKShallot.com