Baked Potato Filled with Sweet Chilli Beetroot, Feta & Mint Salad – Sweet earthy beetroot and salty feta cheese combine to create this delicious vegetarian lunch.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: approx. 1 ½ hours, depending on the size of the potatoes
for the potatoes
- 4 large baking potatoes, scrubbed & pricked with a fork
- a little butter (optional)
for the salad
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- small bunch fresh mint, leaves chopped roughly
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp pine nuts
- 2 packs sweet chilli infused beetroot, cut into 1 cm cubes
- 1 small red onion, finely sliced
- a handful of black olives (optional)
- 300g feta cheese, cut into 1 cm cubes
Preheat the oven to 200°C. Put the potatoes in the oven, directly on the shelf, and bake for 1 ¼ – 1 ½ hours until soft when pierced with a skewer. Alternatively, part cook in a microwave on high for 10-15 minutes, then put in the oven to finish baking, reducing the cooking time accordingly.
Make the salad by whisking together the olive oil, red wine vinegar and caster sugar together in a large bowl. Stir through the mint and season to taste with a little salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Toast the pine nuts in a dry frying pan until golden brown. Add to the salad dressing, along with the beetroot, onion and black olives, if using. Set aside for the flavours to mingle.
Just before you are ready to eat, stir the feta cheese through the salad. Open up each baked potato and fluff up the inside a little with a fork, adding a little butter if you like. Spoon the salad into each potato and serve immediately.
courtesy of www.lovebeetroot.co.uk