The longest running Soul Night in the North West is celebrating this achievement with the release of an exclusive Top 20 Northern Soul hit list.
Created exclusively by Richard Searling, the list has been compiled from the most requested songs at the iconic venue that was chosen to feature in the movie ‘NORTHERN SOUL’.
Richard Searling, a well known voice on BBC Radio Manchester & BBC Radio Stoke, started his DJ career in 1971 via a contact at Ralph’s Records in Manchester and eventually went on to play great venues like Va-Vas in Bolton, The Pendulum in Manchester and the Wigan Casino.
Richard said, “The Top 20 has been compiled from a list of the most requested tracks over the years and votes on social media. Since we started up the sessions in one room back in the 90s, we have enjoyed many highlight nights and fabulous soul going back to the days of the Twisted Wheel and Wigan Casino in the Ballroom and Jazz Funk and Modern Soul anthems in both Blakey’s Bar and The Windsor Suite. We can’t wait to welcome Motown classic The Marvelettes with a full live set in September. It’s gong to be a great night.”
The Northern Soul Top 20
1. The Isley Brothers – “My love is your love”
2. James Fountain – “Seven day lover”
3. Kim Weston – “Helpless”
4. Jackie Wilson – “Because of you”
5. Frank Wilson – “Do I love you”
6. Ruby Andrews – “Just loving you”
7. Marvin Gaye – “Little darlin'”
8. Gil Scott-Heron – “The bottle”
9. The Contours – “Just a little misunderstanding”
10. Billy Butler – “The right track”
11. The Supremes – “Love is like an itching in my heart”
12. Ramsey Lewis – “Wade in the water”
13. Stevie Wonder – “Uptight (Everything’s alright)”
14. Voices of East Harlem – “Cashing in”
15. Barbara Randolph – “I got a feelin'”
16. Mel Britt – “She’ll come running back”
17. The Temptations – “Why you wanna make me blue”
18. Soul Brothers 6 – “I’ll be loving you”
19. Duke Browner – “Crying over you”
20. Gloria Jones – “Tainted love”
Saturday 23rd September sees a six hour dance night featuring a whole range of DJs at the venue, in two rooms including an exclusive North West appearance of the Motown sensations The Marvelettes and the Annual Wigan Casino Anniversary celebration.
Born into the girl-group era of the early 1960s, the vivacious Marvelettes are forever famous for delivering Motown’s first No. 1 record on the pop charts, “Please Mr. Postman.” In this show they will be including all their Mod and Northern Soul in-demanders!
DJ’s include original Wigan Casio spinner, Dave Evison, Kev Roberts and Richard Searling, joined by BBC Radio Lancashire‘s Keith Fletcher, Ginger Taylor and special guest Jordan Wilson.
The Modern Room will feature Soulful Dance & Modern Soul and the party doesn’t end until 3am! Featuring Colin Curtis, Mike Stephens, Paul Garland, Paul Mac & Barry Maleedy.
The event features the Northern Room with Classic Northern Soul & Motown from 9pm – 2am and the Modern Room with Soulful Dance & Modern Soul from 10pm-3am.
VENUE: King George’s Hall, Northgate, Blackburn. BB2 1AA
DATE: Saturday 23rd September 2017
TIME: 9pm to 3am
TICKET PRICES: Start from £10 for the Modern Room, with Northern & Modern Room tickets from £15 in advance.
Tickets are available
By Phone 0844 847 1664
In Person: King George’s Hall Box Office, Northgate, Blackburn.